The Rail 9.8 is a long-travel carbon electric mountain bike that rips just as hard as our beefiest trail rigs and powers you straight back up the mountain. It features amazing upgrades to the suspension, drive train and brakes for exceptional performance on the gnarliest runs.
It's right for you if...
You’re looking for a long-travel carbon e-MTB with high-performance parts. You crave the responsiveness of carbon, the plush feel of high-end suspension, and would rather get all the good stuff now than have to upgrade down the line.
The tech you get
An OCLV Mountain Carbon frame that fully encases a 625 Wh battery, a super responsive RockShox ZEB Select+ fork with extra-burly 38 mm stanchions and loads of adjustability, a RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate shock with an updated Thru Shaft damper, a Bosch Performance Line CX 250 W motor that assists up to 20 mph (25 km/h in Europe) and a Kiox controller. A smooth-shifting Shimano XT drive train, 4-piston brakes for confident descents and Bontrager Line Comp 30 29er wheels with robust SE5 Team Issue tyres that come completely tubeless-ready, including sealant.
The final word
This bike features across-the-board upgrades that make it a serious ripper – especially the suspension package. It's built for hammering gnarly descents, then flying right back up again thanks to the powerful Bosch drive system.
Why you'll love it
- The new, better-than-ever Bosch motor is smaller, lighter and more efficient. It feels more natural while you’re pedalling, and has less drag when you’re not
- The full-colour Kiox controller displays ride info, connects with your Bluetooth® enabled devices and has a built-in theft prevention feature
- RE:aktiv with Thru Shaft works faster than a normal shock, so it tracks the ground better and keeps you in control
- Made with the same exclusive frame tech as Remedy and Slash, like Mino Link adjustable geometry, a Straight Shot down tube for extra stiffness and Active Braking Pivot (ABP)
- Trek's Removable Integrated Battery (RIB) system looks great and is super user-friendly: it fully hides the battery in the frame for protection, makes it easy remove the battery without tools and lets you mount a water bottle cage
- Smaller frames (S) have a top tube that dips down as it approaches the seat tube